Watch TV With Me-Divorce in the Media Series-Watch Grace and Frankie with Me. Season 1 Episode 3

 Divorce seems to touch everyone's lives these days.  It was rare to hear of divorce when I was a child.  This is no longer the case, and it seems vows to God and others mean very little in our society.  I disagree with this new way of thinking, and I believe a vow is a commitment. (I think there are reasons for divorce, such as abuse and adultery.  Divorce should not be taken lightly.)


You see divorce in the media in TV shows, and movies.  In this segment, I will focus on divorce in the media and my thoughts on a particular movie or show as I am watching.  I would love it if you joined me as I watch these shows and share my thoughts as I enter my 8th-year post my husband leaving.

I would love it if you shared your thoughts on the shows as we watch them together.

Grace and Frankie

Season 1 Episode 3

My thoughts as I watch this show.

1-Frankie has lost the desire to do what she used to love.  I did that after my husband left.  I used to love to cook and read, and I loved photography.  The desire to do these things and more left me initially, but over the years, the desire to do the things I used to love is slowly returning. 

2-The two ex-husbands are planning a dinner with the kids in the family.  They are trying to keep it hidden from their moms.  This type of hiding and sneaking around rings so true with divorced families.  In my opinion, it is so sad to break up a family due to selfishness; it is so destructive to families and breeds distrust.

3-Uncomfortable family gatherings.  That sounds about right after a divorce.  So sad.

4-I do like the phones in the box idea.  When you come to dinner before the meal, you put your phones in the box or away.  This way you can enjoy the moment together without phone interruptions. 

5- The question arises of why everybody is so accepting of this situation.  Bree asks this question, and this is the one time I like her.  Sadly that is the reality of the situation.  No matter what was done to the innocent spouse, it is overlooked and not questioned.  Sad but true.  I think the truth of what happened should at least be recognized.

6-I loved that one of the sons delivered the cake they refused to eat at the father's dinner to the moms' house.  That was sweet and caring.

Characters

Frankie-I still love her.

Grace- In this episode, Grace is trying to re-make her shattered life.

Sol-I still don't like him, but he is a step above Robert.

Robert-I see him as a slimy, selfish narcissist who lies easily and shamelessly.  He does not change in this episode.

Mallory (Grace's daughter) seems sweet, and she really wants to help her mom.

Bree (Grace's other daughter) seems more like her father. I don't like her character.

I really like both of the sons.


Questions

1-Did you lose the desire to do the things you used to love post-separation and divorce?  Has your love for these activities returned?

2-Are you left out of family activities since your divorce. How do you feel when you are left out of these activities now that you are an ex?

3-Has the reality of your divorce experience been acknowledged?  Do you think it should be?

Watch the show and let me know your thoughts.

God Bless You on Your journey!

KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts