The Territorial Goose and A Life Lesson

Brodie and I were on our morning walk when we saw a foreboding character in the distance. His head held high not only with confidence but conviction. He would stand his ground, and we knew it. Yes, it was a territorial goose. I have encountered them on many occasions, but this one looked particularly determined.
Brodie and I stopped and just looked at him. We had choices. We could run with our tail, well at least Brodie's, between our legs. We could continue our predetermined course and confront the situation, but the goose was already in the "this is my war, and I am going to win it" posture. If you have been around these creatures, I know you understand. We could retreat, go back the way we came, missing out on our planned adventure. We could avoid the situation altogether. Just walk across the street and continue our journey from there. We considered our options. Do we run? No, he was not chasing us. Do we confront, stand our ground, and continue on our path to make the point that we can? No, there was a very lovely sidewalk just across the street. Do we retreat? No, that would ruin all of our plans. Do we avoid his ire? Yes, we decided to avoid. Why? Because it was not that big of a deal, it was an easy out to cross the street, and it was not worth the conflict.
So how can I apply this event to my life? How can this encounter with a territorial goose be an example as to how I should respond in my life situation or yours as we encounter separation and divorce?
We more than likely have to deal with a difficult situation or person when going through separation and divorce. What do we do? The answer is that it greatly depends on each situation. The pros and cons have to be addressed before any action can be taken. Let's look at some options.
Should we run away? In some situations, I would say yes if there is danger involved. With an abusive spouse, I would say run far and fast.
Should we confront? Sometimes we need to. When someone lies about you or life events or when someone attempts to destroy your life and your future, I think we have to respond. Yes, sometimes we need to confront even if we don't feel like it. I believe we will know when to cross those lines.
Do we retreat, give up, change our life plans? For me to withdraw is fine as long as it does not destroy my life goals. Do not retreat if in any way it harms you or the ones you love.
Should we avoid? I think some conflict is wise to avoid. If someone is posturing and it serves no purpose other then to build them up, I would say avoid the conflict. They usually only want attention anyway — no need to give it.
So if you come across an aggressive goose or ex, consider your options carefully. And of course, pray for direction.
Just my opinion. 
God bless you on this journey!
KathieyV

Comments

  1. Good perspective! I for one would not mess with a territorial goose (having accidentally come across one suddenly on a trail and he chased me for a while...yikes!), and your metaphors are all great for relationship options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, Yes they can be scary. I have been chased on several occasions. I don't know if you anyone going through divorce but it is tough. This crazy goose gave me some perspective:-)

      Delete
  2. Good points to ponder. I'm sharing this with a friend who is divorced, but still deals with a mean goose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, So glad you are there for your friend. Divorce is the most difficult thing I have had to deal with. Give her a hug for me. I have another blog she may like, its my author page..kathieyvwriter.com. Tell her she is going to make it one little step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a thought provoking post! I agree that prayer for direction is the best way to handle every situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabbi, Yes I too believe prayer is the key. Thanks for stopping by:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts