Meetup Groups vs Isolation

I am a member of many divorce sites, places where people can go to share and vent. These sites are support groups for those entering the unknown world of separation and divorce.

I was reading one ladies comments.  I don't know her story although based on her recent post I can tell she is lonely, but she wants to change that.  She has signed up for Meetups but is nervous about meeting new people.  She says she feels "stuck in her protective little house."  She also likes to define herself as single and not divorced.
Here is my reply to her.

"I love Meetup.  I attend one about 3-4 times a month.  There are so many options to choose, something for everyone.  I suggest you find something you like, sign up, and go, some of the groups you will enjoy and others you may not.  It is easy for those of us who have been damaged to hide.  I do at times and have to force myself out, and I am always glad I did.  I define myself as single also mainly because it was not my choice to divorce.  Let me know what meetup you attend I would love to hear about your experience."
Here are some photos from just a few of my Meetup experiences.


As I think over my answer, I realize I am a lot like her.  Recently I changed my status on facebook from divorced to single. When I was looking at my Facebook profile and saw my status as divorced, I did not like it and the judgment that goes with it.  I don't define myself as divorced but single is fine:-)
As far as getting out of the house I do so often.  I love to meet new people and go new places.  That is why I love Meetup Groups.  It gives you the opportunity to socialize and make some friends.  Being divorced can be lonely, and if we choose we can hide in our homes, but I don't think it has to be that way.  Even though it may be difficult to force ourselves out, we can do it, and we can change our lives for the better.

Take Care and remember God's Promise.
You are not alone and that God will never leave us or forsake us.
KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts