Blast From the Past..The Spy Phone..The Beginning

This is an old post from 2014.  Remembering "The Spy Phone"

My Story Page 11….The Spy Phone….

     I remember the day like it was yesterday.  The day I traveled to Raleigh to hire a Private Investigator.    I could not seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I was turning to a PI for help.  All I knew of PI's were Thomas Magnum, Columbo, Rockford Files, and Barnaby Jones.  Never in my wildest dreams could I imagined ever needing one myself.  But never in my wildest dreams would I have thought my husband of 37 years would turn his back on our marriage.  I had put all my faith and trust in him, I had put my future in his hands. A strange place to find yourself.  This can't be happening!  But it was happening….
     My attorney had suggested a well known PI in Raleigh.  I was scared of this entire process.  Scared of meeting the PI, scared of the amount of money it would cost, and scared of this new road I found myself on.  I set my GPS and headed out having no idea what I would encounter.  I remember thinking "I must close to their location" but I seemed to be driving in circles.  I called the office for directions.  I think the person I spoke with could hear the fear and confusion in my voice.  She said sternly but kindly, "Stop! Listen to me!"  Which I did, without question, because I was entering a world that was completely foreign to me. With her help I found my way to the office.
     The PI was on vacation so I met with his associate.  What a wonderful person she was.  She put me at ease right away.  She is the one I would correspond with throughout this process.  Right away we got down to business.  Many questions came my way.  Based on my answers she was pretty certain he was seeing someone.   She told me they would be on this case right away and they would keep me updated.
     I was also given assignments.  Being overwhelmed already it was hard to process all I would need to do.  She said I needed to get my own phone, change my locks, and change my passwords on everything.
     After leaving the PI office I went to Target.  I picked up one of those throwaway phones.  The nice man at the desk spent at least 20 minutes helping me get it setup.  I was told by my attorney that I should not tell anyone with connections to X that I hired her or the PI.  Because of that my little throw away phone became lovingly know as "The Spy Phone".  Only the attorney, the PI folks, and my friends Joanie and Melissa had the number.  Many friends knew about it, Amber, everyone at work, Dave, my neighbors, Cindy and a few others.


“The Lord says, I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  
I will advise you and watch over you”
Psalm 32:8 NLT

Comments

Popular Posts