Monday Morning Motivation...Give Thanks

I am reading a book that a very sweet and caring person gave me.  She knew I was going through a crisis in my life and so she gave me a book that she thought would give me comfort.  It is called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  It kinda reminds me, on a much grander scale, of the way I have always tried to live my life, seeking beauty in the midst of pain.  The chapter I read the other night was on giving thanks in all things through Communion, as Christ did before his death. 


Suddenly I had a strong urge to take Communion.  I don't know that I can thank God for this situation but I can give Him this situation.  I was hoping to take Communion at an area Methodist Church on Saturday but I was not able to attend.  So I thought to myself, that's OK,  I can take Communion next week.
Caleb spent the night with me last night.  He is a wonderful diversion from the pain.  We played, we ran, we spun in circles, we ate ice cream.  As I was putting him to bed he kissed me and told me he loved me and I did the same to him. 

Got up Sunday morning and went to church.  The pastor spoke of a Greek word "Iupeo" which means stressed, grieved, deeply distressed.  I guess I now fit in that category. I am in a horrible amount of emotional pain. This church is a large church,  I really don't know many folks, but I always come away with something to hold onto.  Today it was Communion.  They did not offer it in the service but as I was leaving I saw a door in the very back of the room that I had never noticed before, on it was written "Communion".  I hesitated and then decided maybe this was my gift for the day.  I went in.  There were two tables each with small candles, a small cross plus the wine and the bread.  There were several chairs and probably about ten people silently praying. It was a peaceful place. I did not stay very long but I took the bread and the wine and gave thanks to God.  Not so much for this mess that is thrust upon me but for His love.

Comments

Popular Posts