Morning Motivation - "Memories"

I remember reading a book titled, "Before I Go to Sleep" by S. J. Watson.  As I am reading, I am always looking for quotes that touch an emotional chord in me.  The storyline of the book is centered around a woman who has lost her memory, regains bits and pieces of it throughout her day, falls asleep at night and loses it all again.   The quote I underlined and that touched me the most was this  "A ripple across the surface of the lake of memory."  There have been significant changes in my life in the last few years, and it has not been easy.  I do my best to give it to God.  I don't allow myself to think much about my past because I tend to gravitate to the pain.  After reading this quote, I decided to let myself remember. I allowed myself to remember the good.

I remember Dave.  As my Dad was dying, he said "Dave take care of your sister," and he did.  We became close, more so then we had in our childhood years.  We talked on the phone almost daily. We shared stories, we laughed and cried together.  We spoke on the phone nearly every night.  We went on outings. He took me up in his plane, which was a bit unnerving but fun.  We went out for dinner; we went out for coffee. I was so proud of him, of all he had overcome.
I love him and miss him dearly.

Mom and Dad.  I do miss them both.  I remember going to Hawaii with Dad.  I remember walking through the Va. woods with him also, that is where he seemed to be the most at peace.  I remember the last movie I watched with Dad..."The Birds", we held hands knowing this would be the last film we would see together.
Mom and I used to have good times.  We would read books at the same time and share out thoughts. We played card games, Rummy Cube, watch movies. Mom had a great sense of humor and would come out with the craziest things and make me laugh.


"Thank you, God, for our memories.  Help us learn from our experiences.  Help us to remember and find peace and joy in the gift of the good memories.  Please take our memories, use them, both good and bad, to help us to become more like you.  Give us peace in our journey knowing that you are beside us."
Allow yourself to think back and enjoy a good memory.  
Hope it makes you smile:-)
KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts