Welcome to the World of Online Dating...Red Flags To Look For-Profile Photos

I never thought I would be saying "Welcome to the World of Online Dating," but here we are.  After a decade's long marriage I find myself on a dating site.  Who would have thought? 

I am doing my research as far as the red flags that may warn of trouble.  I have visited many sites that discuss online dating.  On these sites, there are lists of precautions or "red flags," things to be aware of. 

Today I thought we would visit one that I found listed as a red flag on many sites....Let't talk about the Profile Photo.  Here are a few things that we should look for when looking at our prospective dates profile photo 

1-No photo? This is not always a red flag. The experts say this is not necessarily a red flag.  The person posting the photo may be discrete and not want to post their photo for the world to see.  It is suggested that you do share photos before actually meeting.  If they refuse to share a photo, that may be a big red flag.

2-The Blurry Profile Photo. I have consulted numerous dating sites for their opinion on the blurry profile photo.  Most of the experts agree that this may be a red flag.  Here is the consensus. 

*If someone has only one picture and it is blurry, they may be trying to hide something.  This person may be insecure about who they are and could be misrepresenting themselves.

*Many agree that if there is only one blurry photo in a group of clear images, 
it is probably an innocent mistake.

*It could be a fake profile.

*If the person does not take the time to put up a precise and accurate photo, they may not be taking this dating process seriously.  They may not be committed to the process.

*And then again, it may just be that this want-to-be dater is technically challenged. They may have cropped down a photo so much that it has lost its clarity.

3-They are not smiling in their Profile Photo- Why would they not be smiling in the photo.  After all, they are trying to convey to you who they are.  The lack of a smile could mean they would not be very much fun to be around.   Again it may or may not be a red flag. 


As I read more and more about the red flags regarding online dating, I am finding them to be a bit vague.  In other words it is a risk anytime you are meeting new people.  I think you. have to try to read between the lines.  Before I would go on a date with someone I would need to see a few photos and also talk with them on the phone to try to get more of a feel for who they are.

Have fun dating, but please take precautions.
Stay safe!
KathieyV



Comments

Popular Posts