Stress Relief - Try a Hug

Divorce ranks up there with the greatest of stressors.  The stress caused by divorce ranks just under the death of a spouse.  I would disagree with that because to me,
"Divorce is like a death but with intent"
Going through an unwanted divorce, to me, was the most stressful event in my life so far.  That being said there are many things in our lives that cause many different levels of stress.

In my readings on stress, I am always looking for ways to relieve stress.  This week I came across the possibility of stress relief through hugs.  I love a good hug.
I fit in the "hugger" category.  Yes, I will hug just about anyone.  I love to hug my family and friends. I love to hug the people I meet in church and I love to hug my dog.

I went online and did a bit of research on the hug and here is what I found.


Physical touch can help relieve stress. Oxytocin release that occurs with a hug can reduce blood pressure and also produce a sense of relaxation.

"When you hug someone, oxytocin also known as the cuddle hormone is released.  Oxytocin is associated with higher levels of happiness and lower levels of stress".

One study found if you hug someone for 20 seconds it can decrease the stress hormone cortisol.

Health Line did an article on the benefits of hugging.
Here are a few of their findings
Hugs decrease stress by showing support.
Hugs can make you healthier.
Hugs boost your heart health.
Hugs can make you happy.

Here are some people I love to hug...



Feeling stressed?  Try giving someone a big hug.
God Bless You!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts