Divorce Diversion-Bringing Movies to Life-Private Benjamin.

 Bringing A Movie To Life-

Private Benjamin

I was reading an article the other day on Nancy Meyers's Movies.  I don't think I have heard of Nancy Meyers, but I thought I would take a look at her work.  First off, who is Nancy Meyers?  Here is a comment from Wikipedia... 

"Nancy Meyers is an American filmmaker. She has written, produced, and directed many critically and commercially successful films."

I thought it would be fun to watch all of her movies and attempt to bring them to life.  How do I bring books and movies to life, you ask?  I watch the movie and decide how to take aspects of the movie into my world.  Such as if they go to a bar, I may go to a bar, if they have a pretty item in the production I may see if I can find that item on Amazon.  



I found the movie Private Benjamin on Amazon.  It was, I think, $3.99 for the rental. Here is the description of the movie I found on Rotten Tomatoes


A Jewish-American princess, Judy Benjamin (Goldie Hawn), is devastated when her husband (Albert Brooks) drops dead on their wedding night. While she grieves, a duplicitous recruiter for the Women's Army Corps convinces her to enlist. Judy thinks her enlistment is like a vacation, but Captain Lewis (Eileen Brennan) quickly dashes her hopes of an easy time. As Judy goes through basic training like any other grunt, she becomes a good soldier and develops a sense of self-esteem.

On Rotten Tomatoes, they gave the movie 83% on the Tomatometer, and the audience gave the movie 60%.

I watched the movie and enjoyed it. I have always liked Goldie Hawn. Goldie plays Private Benjamin, a young woman who is confused about where life is leading her. She joins the army on a whim, and it is not as she imagined.  

The movie is funny and hopeful. It is about a young woman trying to find herself. As I said, I enjoyed the movie and would give it a 7/10 on my movie scale. It is fun and worth watching.

Here are a few things that you could do based on the movie...
  1. A quote in the movie is when Private Benjamin realizes she is trapped in the army, she says... "I want to go out to lunch." So you could go out for a nice lunch.
  2. There are military bands and jazz bands in the movie. Go out to listen to music at a local venue.
  3. People seemed to wear a lot of black in this movie. It would be nice to buy a little black dress; I know I need one.
  4. Buy something Army green.
  5. Private Benjamin had to clean the latrine with a toothbrush.  You could buy an electric toothbrush.
  6. Of course, in boot camp, there is a lot of working out.  You could go to a local health club and do a "boot camp" workout.  I would like to do that, but I am a little scared:-)
  7. You could watch the movie and pick out a few items found in the movie that you would like to buy and search for them on Amazon.
Let's Go Shopping On Amazon...

American Flag Tank Tops Women Patriotic Shirt I was trying to find something Army green.  This, I think, fits the bill, and it is patriotic.

Accudart Match Pro Dartboard Cabinet Set - Official Size If you watch the movie closely, you will see a dart board in one of the scenes.  This one on Amazon looks like fun.

Oral-B Pro 1000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush  I put this in the mix because Private Benjamin had to clean the latrine with her electric toothbrush.  

5 Cuisinart 9-Cup Continuous Feed Food Processor A food processor was seen early on in the movie as a gift.  

6  Barnes and Ivy Traditional Asian Chinese Style Table Lamp This is somewhat similar to a lamp I saw in the movie.

Oversized Cotton Bedspread Queen Size There is a bedroom with navy bedding in the movie.  I thought this was pretty, and it would go well with the lamp.

I would suggest you watch the movie and bring the movie to life in your world.  
Enjoy the Journey!
KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts