Divorce in the Media Series-Watch Grace and Frankie with Me. Season 1 Episode 1

Divorce seems to touch everyone's lives these days.  It was rare to hear of divorce when I was a child.  This is no longer the case, and it seems vows to God and others mean very little in our society.  I disagree with this new way of thinking, and I believe a vow is a commitment.  (I think there are reasons for divorce, such as abuse and adultery.  Divorce should not be taken lightly.)

You see divorce in the media in, TV shows, and movies.  In this segment, I will focus on divorce in the media and my thoughts on a particular film or show as I am watching.  I would love it if you joined me as I watch these shows and share my thoughts as I enter my 8th-year after my husband left.

I would love it if you shared your thoughts on the shows as we watch them together.

 

Grace and Frankie

Season 1 Episode 1

My thoughts as I watch this show.

1-These women are left in the dark about what has been going on with their husbands for twenty years.  The husbands, in my mind, are very selfish and should have shared this information years earlier so the women could have moved on with their lives.

2-The seafood platter looks fantastic!

3-I do like Saul much more than Robert, who seems slimy.

4-"Spinless Chicken" sounds about right!

5-I agree with her when her soon to be Ex is making light of the situation, and she says, "You don't get to pretend that this is nothing."  I can relate to her statement.

6- Her comment, "it would have been easier if you had died," relates to my quote in my book, "Divorce is like a death but with intent."

7-At the dinner table, Robert shows his level of selfishness.  He says, "it was killing me," meaning his feelings take precedence over the pain caused to his wife, daughters, and grandkids.  I don't like that man. 

8-I love how the sons of Lily Tomlin treat their mother.  Although the names she named her boys are unusual.  Nwabudike and Coyote:-)

9-I love the beach scene and how the two women come together, albeit the drugs helped:-)

10-When seeing a bird couple together, Frankie says, "He will break you in two and leave you crumbled in the dirt, save yourself, fly away."  This happens far too much in our society, and the shame is that it is accepted. 

11- I love that the two ladies have each other.

12 The final words from Grace-"Now what!"  That sounds about right.  Many women are left alone with an unknown future.  Where do you even begin?

Characters

Frankie-I love her quirky personality.  She is such fun.

Grace- A serious woman who has been completely damaged by her husband of over 40 years.

Sol-Yes, he was deceitful for over twenty years, making him a liar.  What makes him a bit less awful is that he has compassion and regret, which means he is not a narcissist like Robert.

Robert-I see him as a slimy, selfish narcissist who lies easily and shamelessly.

Journal Prompts

1-Were you in the dark about your ex's plan to leave you, or did you know?  Did you leave? Did you hide your plan, or were you vocal about it?

2-What is your favorite seafood?  Have you ever ordered a seafood platter, and if so, what was on it?

3-In this episode, one of the men is called a Spineless Chicken.  What derogatory name did you give your Ex?

4-Did your ex seem to think your divorce was "nothing"?  If so, how did that make you feel?

5-Would it have been easier if your soon to be Ex "just died" rather than leaving you?  If so, why?

6-Frankie yells to a bird couple, "He will break you in two and leave you crumbled in the dirt, save yourself, fly away."  She has been damaged by the man she has loved for decades.  Do you think that this experience has left her feeling that lifetime love does not exist?  How do you feel now about a vow to love someone forever?  Do you believe it is possible?

Watch the show and let me know your thoughts.

God Bless You on Your journey!

KathieyV

Next week I will be answering one of the Journal prompts.

Comments

Popular Posts