The Journey-"Don't Sign Anything"

My Story My Divorce God’s Promise:
The Journey

KathieyV
“Don’t Sign Anything”
From the very beginning of this painful divorce process, I kept hearing the same thing over and over, ” don’t sign anything.”  My friends, my co-workers, and my boss repeated this to me daily as I survived the fog of my confusion not knowing what to do.

If you are anything like me you are presented documentation and separation agreements and then “kindly” asked to sign.  And if you are like me, you were in the shocking haze of abandonment.  Because of this trauma, many of us were incapable of making informed and proper decisions.  That is when it pays to listen to the advice of others.

My ex came to me with a written separation agreement.  My husband and his attorney had created this document at a time that I had no idea that he was planning to leave.  Because of all the voices telling me “do not sign anything” I did not sign.  I am so thankful that I didn’t.  

I would go on to hire an attorney who quickly informed me that the separation agreement that I was given was far from in my best interest. She could read between the lines where I could not see.

My advice based on my experience:  
If you are handed a separation agreement or any documents to sign while going through this process please do not sign.  Take the paperwork and head directly to an experienced divorce attorney.  They can help you.

In my stupor, and even with the knowledge that he was leaving me, there was part of me that wanted to trust him.  I came close to signing.  Thank you, God, for putting the right people in my path, people that helped me to seek help when I did not know what to do.

“Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are my Savior, 
and my hope is in you all day long.”
Psalm 25:4-5

(NIV)



Comments

Popular Posts