Taking Care of You-Need Stress Relief? Try Exercise

Taking Care of You-Stress Relief-Try Exercise!
I will be starting a new series on "Taking Care of You'. It will contain self-care and stress relief and fun things to try to make your life a little brighter.
I wrote this several years ago, before Covid.  I have not been taking indoor classes because everything has shut down.  Things are now beginning to open up, so I am thinking about getting involved in some workout classes again.  Exercise is beneficial, and also being with people is an emotionally healthy thing to do.
Lately, I have been walking 3-5 miles several times a week for exercise.  I also hike with meetup groups which is always fun.  I am debating trying Pickle Ball.
Here is my blast from the past...
(That is me on the far right:-)
When my husband first left me, I did sink into despair and depression.  I don't know how I did this, but I continued to exercise. I would jog with my dog when all I wanted to do was go to bed and curl up in the fetal position. After work, I would attend Gabby's Zumba classes when I wanted to go home and cry. Gabby will never know how much she helped me. Even though I was in a mental fog, I could still keep moving. Maybe somehow, in the back of my mind, I realized I needed this physical activity to help me survive this trauma.  

Fast forward five years.  I am still taking Zumba classes, and now my instructors are Marissa and Tracey, and I adore them as I do Gabby.  I also take long walks with Brodie and do other exercises at a local gym.  For me, exercise helps me keep my mind and body in better shape.

Here is a quote from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America...

"The physical benefits of exercise—improving physical condition and fighting disease—have long been established, and physicians always encourage staying physically active. Exercise is also considered vital for maintaining mental fitness, and it can reduce stress. Studies show that it is very effective at reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration, and enhancing overall cognitive function. This can be especially helpful when stress has depleted your energy or ability to concentrate." Anxiety and Depression Association of America

If you happen to be under a lot of stress, and even if you are not, you can't go wrong with beginning an exercise program.  There are so many health benefits, and one of them is stress relief.

Take good care of yourself,


KathieyV

Comments

Popular Posts