Need Stress Relief-Try Journaling

 I came across an article,  100 Ways to De-Stress, by Karen Carnabucci. I posted on her first suggestion, using chocolate to destress, Chocolate Meditation.  Can't go wrong with chocolate:-) 
Karen's second suggestion is to Journal.  I do journal but not consistently.  I found it especially helpful when my ex first left.  Through writing, I was able to find pieces of myself that were shattered.  I am still finding the pieces today, nearly 9 years later. 
I went online to find a few benefits of journaling, and believe me, there are many.  If you click on any of the links below, you will find more info...

Positive Effects of Journaling.
  • Reduce stress-Writing about anger, sadness, and other painful emotions help release the intensity of these feelings. By doing so, you will feel calmer and better able to stay in the present. Psych Central
  • Healing-Expressive writing is a route to healing — emotionally, physically, and psychologically. Dr. James Pennebaker, author of  Writing to Heal has seen improved immune function in participants of writing exercises. Stress often comes from emotional blockages and overthinking hypotheticals. He explains, “When we translate an experience into language, we make the experience graspable.” And in doing so, you free yourself from mentally being tangled in traumas.  Huff Post

    *Lower Blood Pressure -Because journaling lowers stress and anxiety, it can help manage high blood pressure. Dr. James Pennebaker claims that journaling strengthens T-lymphocytes, immune cells that fluctuate with stress and anxiety. Strengthening them boosts your immune system and helps keep your blood pressure low. Health and Fitness Revolution

    *Journals help you connect with your values, emotions, and goals. By journaling about what you believe in, why you believe it, how you feel, and your goals, you better understand your relationships to those things. This is because you must sort through the mental clutter and explain why you do what you do and feel what you feel.  Life Hack

    Keeping a journal requires us to write out our goals. The importance of committing our desires to paper cannot be overstated. It is a simple process, but it pays great dividends. Writing out our goals provides the opportunity to articulate them clearly and makes their achievement appear closer. Becoming Minimalist
(One of the suggestions I found was to find a quiet place to journal with no distractions.  As you will see in the above photo, I had a distraction.  That's ok, it's only Brodie:-)

Just how do you journal?  Check out this site for details on how to journal...Journaling Saves Lives

For me, it is just to sit down and write.
So how do I sum up journaling?  For me, it is a release of my thoughts and emotions.  It does confirm my faith and helps me set up goals.  I find it to be not only the act of writing, but I direct most of my writing to God, so for me, it is an act of worship.
In my opinion, you should give it a try.  If you have trouble coming up with how to begin, I suggest you get a journal that prompts you.  Right now, I am using a devotional journal...
My suggestion for today.  Get out a pen and paper and grab a bar of chocolate.  Hopefully, it will help decrease some of your stress.  I know that if you are going through the pain of separation and divorce, the stress is unbearable at times.  
Don't give up.  
Remember God's promise.  
"I will never leave you or forsake you."
God Bless
KathieyV

Comments

  1. Journaling is the best! I've been journaling for years, and I couldn't imagine ever stopping. It helps so much with stress and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine,
    I too am finding journaling to be a source of stress relief and joy. Thanks for stopping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done mindfulness journaling. it's a great way to just record what is going on in the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine, I guess my journaling is a bit of a mixture of thoughts. I do think it is helpful in many ways. Thanks for stopping by:-)

      Delete
  4. I love chocolate and writing! Consistent journaling is tough for me, but I do keep running articles / poems / stories in an Evernote account that I will work on from various places, usually coffee shops. My favorite place is out in the woods somewhere in a bound notebook!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts