Sunday, July 3, 2016

Exploring a new TV Show "Grace and Frankie"


I find myself relating to this show in many ways.  I am nearly in my 60's and my husband of 37 years just decided to up and leave with no warning to me.  It was a bit like that for Grace and Frankie too.  I am going to watch the series and pull out quotes, situations and emotions that I can relate to.  Here is a description of the show that I found online....


"Two married women in their 60's are shocked when they find out that their husbands are leaving them, but even more shocked out to find the reason why; they are gay and in love with each other! Now Grace and Frankie have to figure out how to deal with their lives now and how to move on in this original comedy series from Netflix."
The Beginning
These two "men" had been cheating on their wives, with each other for over 20 years.  Of course they could rationalize this by making excuses that they were never really happy and neither was the shocked wife.  They would say things like "change is a good thing".  
There is mention of their hidden lives.  I can relate.  I have had many conversations with the spouses of two of the women my ex has had relationships with.  They too had no idea what was going on, what was hidden from them. Extremely sad.  Not a good legacy to leave behind.

I  agree with what the divorce minister has to say.  The blame tends to be displaced.  I have spoken to many women going through divorce who are the subjects of blame when they are actually the innocent party.  Most of these men make excuses and take no responsibility. 


"Ever notice how Christians quoting these words from Jesus have no problem “casting stones” at faithful spouses? Pointing out their alleged spousal failures.

The double-standard of avoiding talking about the cheater’s sins and failures while going into lengthy explorations of the faithful spouse’s “contributions” to the marriage’s demise happens all too often in Christian circles. It is absolutely insane!"...Divorce Minister

The Journey
In the early stages of my trauma all I could do was give it to God.   Through prayer, music, and scripture I was able to find the strength to get through the fog of each day.  When you know there is nothing you can do about a situation you have to give the situation to God.  He will give you courage and strength to endure until you come out of the darkness of the event.  And you will:-)
The Joy
I am 3 years out from the initial shock and in the beginning I thought I would never find joy again and I nearly gave up.  If you just hold on you can find joy again.  It takes time and determination and faith and friends but you can do it:-)
In the beginning I could do little except breath.  Over time I started to read again, to take photos again and to cook again.  I was beginning to heal.  
This week joy has come in many forms.  Going out with friends, sleepovers and swimming with my Grandson, seeing my daughters, and trying a new recipe....Greek Pork Chops with Potatoes and Squash...Yummy:-)

Wishing you joy!
KathieyV:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment