Thursday, November 26, 2015

"What's Cooking" a Thanksgiving Movie

Thanksgiving has changed for me over the last couple of years.  We no longer have the traditional family unit.  This was not my decision to divide our family but "his". This year I will host Thanksgiving on Friday.  That is fine with me because I have all day Thursday to get ready. 

I decided today I would watch a couple of Thanksgiving movies, cook and do a bit of cleaning. I will take  Brodie for a walk to show him I am thankful that he is with me.
The frist movie I decided to watch was "What's Cooking"
"On Thanksgiving day, four ethnically diverse families -- VietnameseLatinoJewish, and African -American — gather for the traditional meal. Each family has its own distinct way of cooking the traditional holiday meal and its own set of problems."
Wikipedia
 The focus is on four different families.  All with their own set of joys and problems.  You get a glimpse into their lives over the Thanksgiving holiday.
So what did they have to eat? A wide range.  The typical turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, corn, mushrooms, polenta for the vegetarian, rolls, ham, leeks, salad, tortillas, rice, shrimp eggrolls, and Asian veggies. From fresh cranberry sauce to the dreaded solid canned sauce, (which I no longer serve because the only one that liked it was X and he walked out).
For dessert, pumpkin pie, apple pie, con leche.  Wine and beer were also served.
Oh, the problems they did have.  A boy with a gun, husbands having affairs
(I can relate to that one), a burnt turkey, polar opposite political views, and the list goes on.
In the end though the families came together as a family unit should.  Only one was left on his own and that was the one of the "men" that cheated on his wife. As it should be, it was his decision. The other cheater was trying to make things right.
My Thanksgiving Dinner...Yummy ham, cheese and tomato sandwich.  Tomorrow will be turkey day.






I found this photo on Huff Post Divorce

I am having turkey and that description fits.  I would also like to watch a movie and have some salty buttery popcorn.  That too would fit as far as the relaxed part:-)  How about you?

 What did you have for your Thanksgiving Dinner?  Tomorrow I will be having.....
Turkey and Stuffing
Mashed potatoes and Gravy
Mac and Cheese,
Green Beans
Pie
Sweet Potato Cake
Iced Tea
Wine
Milk for Caleb
I like this quote from the movie "It's Thanksgiving, we'll get through this".


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
There is always something to be thankful for!
KathieyV:-)

1 comment:

  1. Just found your website. I am going through something similar. I've been married 15 years with 3 small children and my husband wants a divorce. He was having an affair but has since stopped but still doesn't want to be with me. I am heartbroken. We have to explain all of this to my 3 children after the holidays as their dad is moving out. We went to counseling before I knew he was having an affair. It didn't help. I did everything I could possibly think of to turn things around but he says he doesn't love me. He says our marriage was always terrible. How am I going to get through this?

    ReplyDelete